Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Maxim #6

Maxim #6: If You Can Forward Your Phone and Work From ANYWHERE  Besides Your Office, DO THAT.


I've become a master on the phone. That noise in the background? Someone's moving in upstairs/I'm at the mailbox on the corner/It's an online seminar/The phone company is messing with the lines/I don't know what you're talking about... These are all reasonable to people who assume you're sitting in your office, doing nothing but waiting for their call and anticipating their needs. But, when it occurred to me that my actual, in-person interactions number in the one's (one, to be exact, some days), in a day, I decided to start taking advantage of technology and I frequently forward my phones and take calls from home, a coffee shop, or a nice beach somewhere, all while maintaining the illusion that I'm stuck under florescent lights, festering away with everyone else.

I know this isn't possible for everyone. I was once a cube dweller--chained to my desk so devotedly that I actually left a Post-it on my chair if I went to the bathroom. THE BATHROOM! I felt I needed not only to excuse my normal bodily functions but also SHARE their occurrences with others. This is a sickness and it was ultimately what made me run headlong back into the unreliable and insane world of politics and entrepreneurialism. I've never felt so sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment